Butterflies are passive insects which spawn in the plains, forest, and jungle biomes. Along with the crickets, they also add a nice atmosphere, due to their beautiful wings.
Butterflies have 2 hearts. Unlike crickets or centipedes, which simply live on the ground, they are aerial insects, and will constantly fly above the ground. Even though they do not react to the player in any way, they are hard to hit, due to their constant flying.
There are a total of 16 species of butterflies that spawn across the world. While all are real species some of the species were unknown by name. The list of known species is as follows:
- Blue Morpho Butterfly
- Clouded Yellow Butterfly
- Comma Butterfly
- Common Lime Butterfly
- Green Birdwing Butterfly
- Marsh Fritillary Butterfly
- Monarch Butterfly
- Orange Tip Butterfly
- Peacock Butterfly
- Purple Emporer Butterfly
- Red Admiral Butterfly
- Silvery Blue Butterfly
- Small Copper Butterfly
- Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
- Urania Sunset Butterfly
The sixteenth species is listed as "white".
- Butterflies were present in the 1.2.5/1.3.2 versions of the mod as one of the first mobs, and made a return as one of the first mobs in the 0.5.0 version for 1.4.7.
- They also received a slight re-vamp in the 0.5.0 version, having their blocky wings changed into flat wings in order to make them look prettier.
- In the 1.3 version for 1.8, they received new textures designed by Star, many more subspecies, and the ability to be caught with a net.
- They also have a night counterpart, moths.
- Star created many butterflies, however only 16 made the final cut and were implemented in the mod's version 1.3
- More species are being planned as well as possible further interaction with butterflies.